Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Black Bean Soup

10 pieces smoked bacon finely chopped
6 cloves garlic pressed
2 1/2 c onion chopped
14 oz chicken broth
1 1/2 c chopped tomatoes
2 Tb ketchup
2 ts worcestershire sauce
1 Tb chili powder ( I omitted this)
4 cans black beans drained but not rinsed
bunch cilantro
juice from 1/2 lime
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
optional: sour cream, cheese, sliced scallions for garnish

Put bacon into large pot and heat over medium til fat is rendered. ( I remove the bacon and cook it til crispy in the oven, then take it out and chop it up when it is cool,and add it back to the soup. I don't like slimy bacon) Stir in onions, stirring til translucent, about 4 mins. Stir in the garlic and cook til you can smell it, about 1 min. Ad the broth, ketchup, worcestershire, tomatoes. Stir in the beans and turn up the heat to high til it boils. Adjust the heat so the soup is bubbling gently and cook 10 mins. Season with salt & pepper.
pick off the stems of the cilantro. wash it and shake dry. chop the cilantro and stir it into the soup when it has been simmering 10 mins. Cook until the soup is thickened, about 5 mins. Stir in the lime juice.
Serve with optional garnishes.
This recipe claims to serve 8 but it didn't make that much in my opinion. Perhaps my husbnand & I are giant pigs, but I think it probably only serves 4 hungry adults, Maybe 6.
We really liked it and I hope your family enjoys it too!
Merry Christmas!