Monday, October 20, 2008

Sweet & Sour Chicken Review

First off, this was GREAT! We all loved it, but Janet nailed it, Brenna wished her sauce was on the side! Too funny. And yes, I went home and put one bag in my fridge and one in my freezer. My hubby said he wanted some "co-op food" for dinner so I obliged.

I loved the flavor and there was more than enough chicken for our family of 5. The only problem was the sauce. There was about half as much as we would have needed (even for 4). So, I took a packet of dry mix Sweet & Sour from my pantry (lucky I had it) mixed up the mix according to the directions (added a bit more cornstarch than it said, though, since it was quite liquidy) and added the mixture to the sauce & chicken simmering in my pot. It made more than enough and I had enough of my extra "mixture" leftover for the other bag of Sweet & Sour in my freezer. I also used my own rice and added the rice Janet gave us to the other bag.

I also made a cabbage salad with Sesame dressing for our side dish.

In the end we had leftovers (which I love), and plenty for a whole other meal. I have one big eater husband, me, big eater almost 13 year old, 9 year old, and 6 year old. With my small addition to the sauce and slightly more rice, I turned the two 4 serving meals into plenty for our family of 5.

One down! And, excited for more!