Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Reheating Tamales and Mar Recipes

To reheat the tamales, wrap them in wet paper towels and microwave-- they need to stay moist.

For the tamales I basically followed the instructions here: http://www.sonofthesouth.net/tamales/Tamales_Recipe_.htm but cut down the seasonings. I don't have a tamale steamer, but I did them in small batches in my vegetable steamer-- they have to steam for about 2-3 hours per batch. Winco sells the MaSeCa and corn husks and most of the seasonings you need in bulk. I used sirloin pork roast that I cooked overnight in the crockpot and shredded for the meat. The meat absorbed all the liquid, so I used chicken broth for the broth in the recipe.

For the apricot barbq pork, I cooked the pork roasts the same as above, overnight on low in the crockpot, shred it to absorb the juices. Then in the blender I mix one bottle of apricots (quart size, just the fruit, not the juice) and some barbq sauce until the color is right-- sorry I don't have measurements. It's one of Stephen's favorites so I hope you like it-- it was a copycat from a resturant in Logan. The sauce originally started out as one we use over pork chops, but with kids, this way is easier and less messy.